It’s no secret that I’ve been enjoying scones for a while now. Even pumpkin ones. In fact you can check out the links below for different recipe variations.
But this year, I have been short on my sorghum flour. I can only get it in the mail, so I’ve been looking for ways to substitute it (without using oat flour… ‘cause it hurts my tummy). At any rate, I have caved and am bow waiting on my 50-lb bag to come in the mail from Bob’s Red Mill.
Today, my husband and I are home celebrating our first married Thanksgiving together. For brunch, I baked up a new, improved pumpkin scone recipe, complete with cranberries and allergen-free white chocolate chips I was thrilled to find at Wal-mart! Delicious!
*Disclaimer on the chips* These are Great Value brand and top 8 allergen free- and vegan! They are great, but taste more like palm oil than white chocolate when eaten by themselves. However, in baked goods, such as these scones, they are fantastic!
So, without further rambling, here’s the recipe:
Pumpkin Spice Cranberry White Chocolate Scones
- 2 – 2 1/2 c. Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 flour (blue bag)
- 1/2 c. Brown rice flour
- 1 TBS. baking powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Arrowroot starch
- 2 TBS. raw cane sugar
- 1/4 c. Packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. Pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 c. Coconut cream (thick part scooped from top. Let can sit a couple days in cool place to separate)
- 1/2 c. + 2 heaping TBS. canned pumpkin purée
- 1/2 c. Coconut milk
- 1/4-1/2 c. Allergy free white chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- 1/2 c. Dried cranberries (craisins), optional
- Add dry ingredients and whisk together. Start with 2 cups if the 1-1 blend. Add more later, if needed.
- Stir in wet ingredients. Add up to 1/4 c. Coconut milk if too dry or extra 1/2 c. Flour. Dough should be maleable, but not too sticky. Stir in 1/4-1/2 c. White chocolate chips and 1/2. c. Cranberries, if desired.
- Turn dough out on floured surface. Pat/roll into a circle until about 1 inch thick. Cut dough into 8ths and place on cookie sheet with about 2 inches between the slices.
- Brush with coconut milk and sprinkle with sugar for glazed sugar coating.
- Bake in preheated 390F oven for 25-30 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes then transfer to wire cooling rack. Serve while warm!
- Enjoy plain or with spiced jam, butter, or sprinkle with honey or maple syrup, if desired.