Three and a half years ago, I had to say good-bye to eggs, milk, and wheat. As time went on, I discovered and adapted recipes for pancakes, cookies, and even mini-donuts (a girl’s gotta have her carbs ‘n’ sugar comfort food, after all). But how was I to make a cake? Without eggs?
Thankfully, I came across this wonderful-smelling, delicious recipe from The Vegan 8. I followed her advice about the substitutions and made a few of my own:
- I used arrowroot for starch and did not reduce amount for gf baking.
- With the oat flour, I also used about 1/4 cup general purpose gf flour
- I used rounded measurements for the spice mix because I liked the stronger flavor
- Use oil and gf flour on the pan instead of parchment paper
- Make a double batch for double layer cake and use seedless blackberry jam for the filling (so good)
- Ice with Simple Mills Organic gluten and dairy free vanilla frosting
- Instead of frosting, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- This cake refrigerates and freezes well