Crunchy on the outside, soft and spongy on the outside. This recipe is a mix of this chocolate donut recipe (https://delightfuladventures.com/vegan-gluten-free-baked-chocolate-doughnuts/) and this apple cinnamon donut recipe (https://www.texanerin.com/gluten-free-cinnamon-sugar-donuts/). Perfect for coffee and slow, sugary mornings. 😋
- 1 1/2 c. Gf vanilla cake mix (could also use regular gf blend. I will try 3/4 c. Gf blend with 1/2 c. Sorghum flour to make them a bit sturdier next time.)
- 1 1/2 TBS. Arrowroot starch
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Baking soda
- 1/8 c. Coconut sugar (if not using a cake mix with sugar in it, increase to 1/2 c.)
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 c. Dairy free milk
- 3 TBS. melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 flax seed egg: 1 TBS flax seed meal reconstituted in 3 TBS. water.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Whisk dry ingredients together.
- Add liquid ingredients and stir until just blended.
- Pour into greased donut pan (do not grease if using non-stick). Tip: use a plastic ziplock bag with a corner snipped off to pipe the batter into the pan. Will make 6 donuts with some batter left over.
- Bake 10-15 min.
- Remove and let cool 10 min. in pan, then cool on cooling rack.
- While donuts are still warm, brush with melted oil/dairy free butter and dipped in 1/2 c. cane sugar and 1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon. Tip: you can also just roll in the cinnamon & sugar mixture without adding oil.