Since going gluten & egg free, I’ve wanted to learn how to bake some of my old go-to quick bread recipes. After a disastrous attempt at banana bread, I gave up the thought.
Recently, I read a tip that breads should be baked with gluten free flour blends without gums. Maybe that was the problem. So, I bought 1-to-1 all purpose blend and decided to try this recipe from Strength & Sunshine.
I changed a few things, which I’ll note in a minute.
Another note: the batter tasted delicious. Then the aftertaste hit me. WHO’S THE JOKER WHO PUT FAVA BEANS IN THE STRAWBERRY BREAD??!! 🤢
However, the loaf baked up beautifully with no strange tastes or aftertastes.
Changes I made to the original recipe are as follows. I made a double batch, so be sure to halve my measurements if following the regular recipe!
- Use unsweetened applesauce instead of strawberry preserves.
- Add 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. cane sugar + 1/2 c. coconut sugar in place of 1 cup sweetener
- Half the strawberries I chopped small, the other half I blended in the food processor.
- No strawberries on top.
- Alternative: sprinkle decorative sugar on top before baking.
- I used regular almond milk
- Flax egg substitute- 1/2 cup when reconstituted.