3 A stone is heavy, and sand is weighty,
but a fool’s provocation is heavier than both.
4 Wrath is cruel, anger is overwhelming,
but who can stand before jealousy? Proverbs 27:3-4
Jealousy: It is “the green-eyed monster that doth mock” (Othello, Shakespeare). It craves after what it does not have. It strives to keep what it has at any cost.
The obvious answer to the wise man’s rhetorical question: No one. No one can stand before jealousy.
This forces me to ask myself questions that require a long look and thoughtful answer.
- Where is jealousy hiding in my heart?
- How is discontentment feeding jealousy in my heart?
- In what areas have I become embittered because of jealousy?
- How are contentment and thankfulness routing out and defeating jealousy in my heart?
- When was the last time I prayed for help to identify and fight jealousy in my heart?